Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Summer TV


In terms of media entertainment, it’s tough to get much worse than July.  If you’re a big movie fan, all the major summer blockbusters are out, and now we’re getting the garbage action stuff.  (Hercules will surely be a guilty pleasure for me though.)  If you’re a sports fan, all you got are preseason NFL reports and dog days baseball.  If you’re a video game fan (like me), you’re getting a lot of solid one-off experiences while waiting for the fall tidal wave.  And if you’re a TV fan, you’re getting the stuff not good enough for the fall/spring, save a couple hidden gems.  So, with that, what the hell is everyone watching?  And better yet, is there anything good out there?  In case you wanna jump into something, here’s how everything is doing in the ratings…

Here’s what I’m watching, from most interesting to least…

The Leftovers

Synopsis: The Leftovers takes place three years after a global "Rapture", which caused the unexplainable disappearance of 2% of the world population. It centers not on the people who were taken, but on the ones left behind, in the hamlet of Mapleton, New York.

My Thoughts: Fantastic concept on paper that is being done… fairly well.  The show mainly follows the town sheriff and his fractured family, using them as a conduit to give us how various groups have come to terms with the event.  Since it’s from the creator of Lost, it’s not surprising that the mystery is the draw.  I also have issues with the central storyline revolving around a strange cult known as The Guilty Remnants. 
(Side note: I was 99.99999% sure that we would not see an on-screen death more gruesome than “you know which one” from Game of Thrones in all of 2014.  HOLY BEJESUS WAS I WRONG.  The one from this week’s episode takes the cake, the pie, and any other desserts you would be offering up.)

Nathan For You

Synopsis: In the series, Fielder plays an off-kilter version of himself, who tries to use his business background (a commerce degree from the University of Victoria (UVIC) in 2005) and life experiences to help struggling companies and people, offering them strategies that no traditional business consultant would dare to attempt.

My Thoughts: PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE ELSE IS WATCHING THIS SHOW!  It’s amazing.  Easily the best thing on during the summer.  I have the infamous “Dumb Starbucks” episode DVR’ed currently.

Tyrant

Synopsis: Bassam "Barry" Al Fayeed is from the war-torn fictional country of Abbudin. He has been living in self-imposed exile in Los Angeles for nearly 20 years. Barry, the younger son of Abbudin's dictator, ends his exile to return with his American family to his homeland for his nephew's wedding. His arrival leads to a dramatic culture clash, as he reluctantly returns to the familial and national politics he once left.

My Thoughts:The trailer drew me in and I’ve never watched any FX drama, so why not start here.  I’m not sure I’m gonna last with this one.  Character actions are pretty silly for a show taking itself so seriously, and the potential for the "White Savior" is taken to the nth degree in such an unbelievable way (yes the main character isn't white, but the concept is analogous).

Wilfred

Synopsis: The show follows a young man named Ryan (Elijah Wood) and his neighbor's dog Wilfred (Jason Gann). In the opening episode, Ryan concocts a drug cocktail in order to commit suicide. After this failed attempt, Ryan's neighbor, Jenna (Fiona Gubelmann), knocks on his door to ask him to look after Wilfred, whom Ryan sees and hears as a man in a dog costume.

My Take: I’m dangerously close to “hate-watch” territory with this one.  I just want to see how it ends, and I’m very much prepared to be let down big time.

10 comments:

  1. So The Leftovers...I want to like it. I really really do. The concept is awesome (I eat stuff like this right up), and it's from one of the creators of Lost- seems like a win win. I watched the "behind the scenes" things they released before the show aired and I was hooked. And I appreciated the fact that they came right out and said that they weren't going to focus on "the event" itself, more on the reactions of everyone left behind. That way I wasn't let down when all my sci-fi dreams didn't play out as planned.

    And yet, I'm still disappointed. The concept is so so good. But there is just something lacking. Ugh. I want to like it so much. I just...don't.

    I haven't seen the one from last week, guess I'll have to check that out now!

    P.S. Who knew Jennifer Aniston had snagged herself such a hottie? (bet you didn't think I could get 2 Jennifer Aniston references in there in 1 week, huh?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two Aniston references in a week is apporaching four minute mile territory.

      Like I said, my biggest gripe with The Leftovers is The Guilty Remnants, and they really are the "main character" of the show right now. To put it bluntly, it's a cult that makes zero fucking sense. What is their goal? I guess to blank the remainder of the world out? Why all the stuff about breath? They smoke, which clearly kills lungs and is perceived as bad for them, yet they do the whole no talking thing - WHY?!?! And then the "no family" thing.... WHY?!!?!?!?! There better be some sort of explanation as to why they exist at all. So far, they're nonsensical cartoon "villains."

      That said, I do like the central theme of looking for reason in events such as these. Nothing scares people more than the unexplained. Religion was practically born out of the need for explaining the unexplainable, which is exactly what we see playing out here. We have at least three separate religious movements - two new, one your "classic" Christianity - and the pragmatists who would just like the move on as the explanation clearly isn't coming (as represented by Kevin). Interesting ideas at work, but The Guilty Remnants just make no sense to me. Maybe I need to find a better explanation than my own.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Summer TV.

    I'm watching Tyrant...but am a couple episodes behind right now. The first two had some really annoying moments with Bassam's family... ugh, white people.

    Leftovers is on the list, so I'll get that started soon... I guess I shouldn't eat while watching?

    Started watching Penny Dreadful... My sister and I both began tuning out of episodes though and found ourselves talking about other shows or books instead of paying attention. It could have been okay...but it's soooooo sloooooow.

    I'm still keeping up with Under the Dome. Bryan hates this show...and that's fair, there is some bad acting and all.... but I've come to not expect amazing things from any Stephen King adaptions, but still get interested in the story and what's really going on. It's entertainment to me. King also made a cameo, of course.

    Crossbones has been one of my favorites so far this summer. Malkovich is solid as Blackbeard, as is most of the cast behind him. I tried to watch Black Sails, but the show couldn't seem to decided if it wanted to be serious or not.... I think it did, but wasn't pulling it off well for me. Crossbones has some moments that certainly aren't done well, but it suffices for any Piratey cravings you may have.

    And of course.. Ray Donovan has started up again. I'm a big fan of this show... Liev Schreiber does a great job in the title role, and his family is cast pretty damn well for what they are. Jon Voight is great in this... although, still a shitty father. If you haven't tried watching yet, start it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched that first episode of The Leftovers. It wasn't my favorite, but I'm willing to watch more because of how much I enjoyed Lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since we don't have cable, we've been watching Netflix and HBOGo in between baby screams.

    True Blood: This show is pretty awful. Some of it is intentional an makes me laugh. The rest of it is too damn convenient and eye-roll inducing. The nudity is a plus at least. Was surprised to see Christopher Miloni on the show. He's a sneaky good actor who I don't care for as a main character, but knocks it out of the park as a part of a team. This is Blair's streaming choice and I've probably seen half of the shows. I don't regret the ones I've missed.

    Friday Night Lights: I didn't think I'd like this show this much. I was expecting a B- feel-good sports show at best and a C- schlocky teen drama at worst. Happy to say my expectations were off. The football action scenes have been impressive. The first couple of seasons had some goofy storylines (why are all these adults fucking high schoolers? The second season storyline for Landry and Tyra is almost entirely fueled by non-rational decision), but the third and fourth season (so far) have been really good. I'm glad I gave it a spin.

    Deadwood: Best show ever made. Was thinking about rewatching again and posting a review each week, but haven't had the time. Would anyone want to join me in that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never given Deadwood or The Sopranos another shot since college, which I know I should. I've also never watched a second of The Wire. HBO Go is wasted on me. I'm also 99% sure I'm the only person in this group who actually pays for HBO Go.

      Delete
  5. I can't think of one thing I'm watching right now. Does American Ninja Warrior count?
    Mindy likes Hell's Kitchen but it just ended. How bout So You Think You Can Dance?

    Mostly if the kids are up I'm watching NickJr or Baby Signing Time dvds.

    After that its Angry Birds Epic and Clash of Clans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna loves So You Think You Can Dance, therefore I'm half-heartedly watching as well. I know there's one dude I can't stand and only one hip hop guy left.

      Delete
    2. I do watch Hell's Kitchen... and Master Chef... I'm always entertained... and hungry.

      Delete
  6. Drunk History, yo.

    Tyrant is quite possibly the worst reviewed FX drama series ever, and I never started watching it for that reason. Don't let it color your expectations for other FX dramas. Justified is on Amazon Prime and is a cool show, one of the best when it's clicking. The Shield is fine. The Americans is one of the better shows on TV. The Bridge is running its second season. I've fallen behind on it, but I liked the first season.

    I watched the premiere of The Leftovers and was a fan, but not a big enough fan to pay for HBO in their off-season, so I haven't seen anymore of it. I'll catch up eventually.

    Hell's Kitchen is garbage, but do I have a standing order on my DVR to record every episode? Yes, I do.

    ReplyDelete